Saturday, July 5, 2008

Friends Old and New

Mom and I went up to the Bark Park today, and Mom was acting a little weird. This isn't all that unusual for Mom (I think you can tell that by now), but she kept saying, "I wonder if you'll remember her."

Well, when we were getting out of the car, another car pulled up. It was a red one, and it had a really nice German Shepherd sitting in the hatchback. Mom and the hoomin in the car were talking like they knew each other, and something about the other hoomin looked familiar ... but from a long, long time ago.

The hoomin and the German Shepherd came down to the Bark Park with us, and we were the only ones there. The German Shepherd (whose name is Matix) and I sniffed and kind of became friends, but she wasn't super-keen to play with me, so I started sniffing the hoomin.

"Piper," Mom said, "do you remember Auntie Deborah, your dogmother?"

And suddenly it all came back! Auntie Deborah was the lady who went to the Restigouche Shelter with Mom and helped her pick me out! It had been a very long time since I'd sniffed her last.

Auntie Deborah said that I was a "big girl now" (since I was only ten weeks old last time she'd seen me).

I decided to see if Auntie Deborah would play with me, so I took the tennis ball to the corner of the fence and dropped it down. I made frantic digging motions to let her know I couldn't reach it, and, sure enough, Auntie Deborah reached under the fence and grabbed it for me. Then she threw it, and I fetched it, and dropped it back down the hole again.

We did this three or four times before Auntie Deborah got tired of the game, so then we just watched Matix catch her toy. Matix isn't sure she wants to be my friend yet, but I'll win her over in time.

Until then, I'll just watch her fly through the air. She's pretty amazing.

No comments: